Were continuing to remember shops and shopping in the village with a account of Land’s grocery shop on High Street.
Gordon and Mona Land will be remembered by many Brimington people, serving the village, from their shop at 26 High Street, even though they sold the business back in 1984.
Now, thanks to their daughter, Maggie Sanderson, we are able to make her article on the family business available as a free download. It has been extracted from Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 8 (published in 2015).
The story really starts in 1899, when the shop was opened by Albert Land. It was later taken over by his son – John William Land. Gordon Land took over things in 1962. The shop was sold to the Birdi family in 1984 and still trades today.
The advertisement here dates from 1967 when the shop was part of the Mace franchise.
You can find out more about shops and shopping in Brimington by reading David Slater’s article in Miscellany 1, which is available as a free download (along with the rest of that issue). To see just how many businesses were still operating in Brimington, New Brimington and on Brimington Common in the early 1940s, don’t forget to look at another free download – of Kelly’s 1941 directory.