On this page you’ll find a gallery of local images.
We’ll be adding more images to this page, so please keep checking back. We’d also be interested in any photographs (or other documents) you might have of Brimington and Tapton – please
Unless credited all images are from the local history group’s collection.
We have chosen the illustrations on our
home page to represent Brimington and Tapton. To start our gallery, we’ll take a look at these pictures and explain why they are included.
The two ‘famous faces’ are (
top right) George Stephenson (the ‘father’ of the railways, who lived at Tapton House) and Henry Bradley ( middle left), a leading light in the Oxford English Dictionary, who lived on Brimington Common, during his younger years.
1) Bradley’s father worked for John Knowles, who operated a blast furnace on the Common at what is now known as Furnace Farm (pictured here in February 2018) in the 1850s. You can find out a lot more about Bradley and the furnace in the article on Henry Bradley here, originally published in Brimington and Tapton Miscellany. (Philip Cousins).
2) An Edwardian view of High Street Brimington. In the distance is the archway entrance to Brimington Hall, demolished from the 1920s onwards. This Jacobean mansion was a sad loss to the village when it was demolished. To the extreme right is the wall to the parish church burial ground, which was removed and built further back in the 1920s as road traffic increased. Further on are a block of stone houses which still survive. To the left is Wheatley’s sweet shop, followed by Twelve’s chemist shop, beyond is Church Farm, now replaced by a petrol filling station and fast food outlets. Turning to the left, at the end of the buildings, would lead onto the bottom of Manor Road – an area called Pondwell Corner, as there was a pond there.
3) A modern view of the parish church taken at the annual village gala in June 2012. Brimington was created a separate parish in 1844, until this time it was a chapelry of Chesterfield Parish Church. It became a civil parish in 1898. This is probably the third building on the site. There was an earlier chapel, with a tower added to it in 1796. This chapel was replaced by a new building in 1808. The tower was retained. In turn, another larger building – the present church – was opened in 1847. The tower was raised and remodelled at this time. You might be able to see the site of an earlier clock on the tower masonry. (Philip Cousins)
4) Tapton House, in November 2020. Best known as the last home of George Stephenson, who died there in 1848 – probably in the bedroom above the entrance. We have also researched about George Stephenson’s third wife – his former housekeeper – in our Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 6. For details on how to obtain this see our publications page. (Philip Cousins)
5) This is a view from Brimington Parish Church tower looking towards the gated entrance of Brimington Hall. Photograph (3) was taken from street level a little further back from the bottom left of this photograph. Church Farm is to the left, with Pondwell Corner beyond. To the bottom right is the former National School opened in 1840. It was superseded by the buildings of the Brimington United District Board Schools built on Brimington Common and Devonshire Street in the 1870s. It was demolished in the 1970s. The buildings to the left and behind the National School still survive as dwellings. Although this image appeared in Vernon Brelsford’s 1937 ‘History of Brimington…’, it must actually date from the 1920s.
6) A more modern (May 2008) view of Brimington village centre, from the church tower, this time looking in the opposite, northern, direction. High Street stretches out, left of centre, whilst in the right distance is the parish of Whittington. To the bottom is the Grade II listed ‘Post House Nursery’, which for some years was the village post office. It was formerly thought to be a local farm house of the Heywood family. There’s still a farm building extant at the top of Heywood Street which is named after this once important Brimington family. (Philip Cousins)
A relatively unknown engraving which appeared in Samuel Smiles’ ‘Lives of the Engineers’ biography of George and Robert Stephenson. This is taken from the 1879 edition, but was presumably in earlier editions. We have only used a portion in our banner, but have reproduced the whole engraving here. It is actually captioned ‘Tapton House’ – but the house is obviously out of scale with the rather romantic depiction of the scene. Presumably the steam locomotive with train is meant to indicate the North Midland Railway, opened in 1840, which runs though both Tapton and Brimington on its way to Leeds via Rotherham Masborough. The large building to the centre is probably a former malthouse, along with possibly the former chemical works, the latter of which was situated in an area between the Chesterfield Canal and river Rother at Mill Green (which was also the site of a former mill). Although the picture is perhaps a little confusing, the person to the extreme left may be sitting on the entrance to the original Chesterfield Canal wharf of 1777. The historic course of the river Rother is the boundary between the township of Tapton and Chesterfield hereabouts. This area would have changed considerably when the Midland Railway opened its direct line to Sheffield in 1870 and the Great Central Railway (GCR) opened it loop line in 1892 – cutting off the original wharf. The GCR ran through Brimington and there was a station at the bottom of Wheeldon Mill. We traced the history of this line and the station in Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 3.
Though this Edwardian postcard proclaims that this is ‘The Manor House, Brimington’ this humble dwelling is obviously nothing of the sort. It stood until sometime after 1955 where number 100 Manor Road now stands. Local tradition recorded in the 1920s and 1930s stated that this dwelling was built on the site of the former manor house. What most local people now call the ‘Manor House’ – the Grade II listed number 76 Manor Road – is more likely a former farm associated with a manor house (it was formerly called Manor Farm). Throw into the equation the existence of Brimington Hall and we have, perhaps, another contender for the site of a manor house! There’s a short newspaper extract about the above cottage available from our downloads page, from c.1955. The cottage marked the start of Brimington Common.
Page last updated 13 February 2021.