You’ll find details of our meetings programme on this page. Everyone is welcome to attend our meetings.
Coronavirus: We are sorry that our meetings programme is cancelled until at least September 2021.
Further details of when we will be able to resume our programme will be posted here. We will re-arrange cancelled talks as soon as we can.
Our meetings programme
When we resume meetings, our programme will be somewhat fluid, as it will not be possible to secure speakers in advance. We anticipate that the following subjects will be our initial offering:
- Brimington: the changing face of a Derbyshire village.
- A much revised talk which was originally prepared when the book ‘Brimington: the changing face of a Derbyshire village’ was published in 1995. (Illustrated Power Point presentation).
- Fred Wood’s Staveley part 2.
- Fred Wood’s Staveley part 3.
- These two talks are the final part of our historical tour around Staveley. The late Fred Wood gave his slides to Philip Cousins, who has been able to reconstruct the talks. (Illustrated Power Point presentation)
- Hollingwood: the story of a community (part 1).
- After briefly considering the history of Hollingwood (which is adjacent to Brimington, but lies in the parish of Staveley), this account will look at creation of the 1920s estate by the Industrial Housing Association for the Staveley Coal and Iron Company. (Illustrated Power Point presentation).
As described above, the dates and the running order are not set for the above talks.
Where and when we meet
The group normally meets monthly during the year (except July and August), on the fourth Thursday of each month, at Brimington Community Centre, High Street, Brimington, S43 1DB. Our meetings, usually with a guest speaker, start at 7.30 pm. In December the group meets on the second Thursday also at 7.30 pm. One outdoor visit, usually a local guided walk, is held in June. There are no meetings in July or August.
Everyone is welcome to attend our meetings. Members are charged £1 admission, non-members £3. Tea and coffee are included (though a small donation towards this is always welcome).
Page last updated 15 February 2021.