On this page you will find free downloads about various aspects of Brimington’s and Tapton’s history.
Some of these downloads may have appeared in our yearly journal Brimington and Tapton Miscellany, others will include draft articles and other resources on Brimington and Tapton.
You will also find extracts from newspapers and other publications that you can download from this page.
Free downloads from Brimington and Tapton Miscellany
Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 1
Now available for free download is the first edition of our yearly journal, published in the autumn of 2008. Contents are:
- The golden age of the little shop – David Slater
- The Canal Tavern – Philip Cousins
- Bottles and jars – Brimington’s pop and jam factory – Philip Cousins
- Brimington’s Coronation tree – Philip Cousins
- Memorial to William Cropper, Brimington Cemetery – Philip Cousins
- The ‘Skull and Cross Bones’ bridge at Tapton – Philip Cousins
- Brimington’s new Church hall (from the Derbyshire Times)
- Chronicle of local events from September 2007 to August 2008 includes extended comments on the demolition of the Prince of Wales public house, and the East Midlands signalling scheme as it impacted on the Midland mainline railway at Tapton.
Please note that the addresses printed in this edition may not now be valid.
Henry Bradley (1845-1923)
Henry Bradley was not born in Brimington, but resided here in his youth, when his father worked for John Knowles’s clay pipe and sanitary brick manufacturers outstation and iron smelting business on Brimington Common (the present Furnace Farm). during his time in the area Bradley attended Chesterfield Grammar School. On leaving Brimington in 1859 the family went to live in Sheffield. Bradley became senior and later joint editor of the then infant ‘New Oxford English Dictionary’. He has made a lasting contribution to the study of the English language and to the Dictionary in particular.
This account, by Philip Cousins, covers his early years in Brimington and gives some impression of the work he carried out in his later years. Conditions on Brimington Common along with a short account of John Knowles activities in the area are also given. This account has been extracted from Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 10, (for 2018).
Land’s shop, High Street, Brimington
Gordon and Mona Land will be remembered by many Brimington people, serving the village, from their shop at 26 High Street, even though they sold the business in 1984. However, the family’s involvement with retail in the village goes back much further – to 1899. Their story is told by Gordon’s and Mona’s daughter Maggie Sanderson. in this extract from Brimington and Tapton Miscellany 8 (published in 2015). We are grateful to Maggie for allowing us to make this article available.
George Stephenson and Tapton House publication
NEDIAS Supplementary Newsletter – March 2021. George Stephenson Special
If you are interested in George Stephenson (1781-1848), or Tapton House this download might just be required reading.
The North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society (NEDIAS), Chesterfield & District Local History Society and Brimington & Tapton Local History Group have collaborated on a special NEDIAS newsletter devoted to Stephenson, Tapton House, Trinity Church (where he and his second wife are buried), Stephenson’s third wife and the ambitious commemoration events of the centenary of his death, held in Chesterfield in 1948.
Download this special NEDIAS newsletter, published in March 2021, below and start finding out about Chesterfield’s famous adopted son, Tapton House and more.
Group local history articles additional to those published in Brimington and Tapton Miscellany
This article, downloadable below, about brick making in Brimington, is by Philip Cousins and the late David Wilmot. It was originally published in the Journal of the North East Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology Society (NEDIAS), Volume 1, September 2006, pages 15-25.
The article reviewed a number of documents discovered amongst papers of the Bolsover Colliery Company relating to a brickworks at the south end of Manor Road, at its junction with Eastmoor Road and Westmoor Road, Brimington Common. The article also attempted to summarise and review other brickmaking activities in the parish, as they were known about at the time of the article’s original publication.
Brimington and Tapton Local History Group is grateful to Diana Wilmot, Philip Cousins and NEDIAS for permission to reproduce the article in full.
A brief history of the site of the former Labour rooms and Brimington Spiritualist Church, John Street. With a brief account of the Brimington Freehold Land Society
Following a request for information on 37A and 37B John Street, (which were built on its site), Philip Cousins has produced this brief history. It includes references to a short-lived rival to the Brimington Club, the Air Training Corps, Brimington Labour Party and the Brimington Spiritualist Church, who all found their home on this plot of land. The concise account also touches on the Brimington Freehold Land Society, which at one time owned the land. The involvement of the freehold land society is one reason why John Street had little in the way of the terraced housing found on Foljambe Road and Heywood Street. This account has not been published in Brimington and Tapton Miscellany.
1891 census – missing sheets from Ancestry
In 2021 we published a series of blogs to mark the census of that year.
In our blog published on 20 April 2021 we identified that three summary sheets were missing from the 1891 census on Ancestry. So that home users of Ancestry need no longer be disadvantaged, you can download a transcription of the missing sheets below, courtesy of research carried out by one of our members, Paul Freeman.
Miscellaneous resources – books and maps
WTG Burr’s paper on Brimington
In many ways WTG Burr’s paper on Brimington is a forgotten gem. It was first published in the East Derbyshire Field Club ‘year book’ for 1923, following a visit of the club to the village, but was later reprinted. Burr was a Brimington resident, living at ‘Wyndicroft’ off Chesterfield Road when he died. He was president of the field club.
Burr had come to Chesterfield to take charge of the now disappeared Soresby Street school. He was a Brimington parish and a rural district councillor and parish church warden. Burr was a friend and associate of Vernon Brelsford, who later went on to write his much more well-known history, published in 1937, which undoubtedly incorporated some of Burr’s work. Burr’s description of Brimington Hall and some of the other old properties in Brimington is particularly useful. Though basically sound, like most other older accounts, his ‘paper’ must be treated with some caution, as newer and more accessible sources have become available. For example he has the Roman fort(s) on Tapton Hill, whereas they were actually in Chesterfield town centre.
Vernon Brelsford’s 1840 Brimington map
Vernon Brelsford’s ‘History of Brimington from the Domesday survey to 1937’, published in a limited edition in 1937 and reprinted the following year, is still an invaluable source for the village’s local history. Brelsford wrote other books, but unfortunately none on Brimington. As clerk to the parish council, he was in a position of some authority in the village.
Included at the back of his history is a map, which we have made downloadable (as north and south sections). Although dated 1840, Brelsford obviously drew this up for his book. It must be based on the tithe map (and apportionment) and the enclosure award map and schedule around the period 1849 – 1853. On the map Brelsford has noted the field names. These would all have been recorded in the tithe apportionment and enclosure award schedule, with the owner, its tenant and size. Buildings were also recorded. The original maps and their schedules all survive in the Derbyshire Record Office at Matlock.
Brelsford’s map is slightly misleading as Brimington Common is shown laid out with Northmoor and Southmoor Roads, whereas these roads and the land marked ‘enclosure’ were only actually created and enclosed from common land as a result of the 1853 enrolled enclosure award.
Ordnance Survey 1876 large scale map of Brimington village centre – extract
This is an extract from the coloured first edition 25 inch to 1 mile Ordnance Survey map of 1876. It shows the village centre at this date and is taken from a much larger sheet. (Ordnance Survey, Derbyshire Sheet XVIII.13, 1876.)
The UK is very lucky to have such a large range of maps, undertaken over different dates by the Ordnance Survey. There are many more maps available from the National Library of Scotland website.
A 1941 trade directory entry for Brimington
19th and 20th century trade directories are an invaluable source for local historians. The first trade directory that has a specific listing for Brimington is probably Stephen Glover’s 1829 directory of Derbyshire, which was taken in the years 1827 to 1829. Kelly’s directories became well-known from the mid 19th century onwards. Their Derbyshire directories were regularly published until the 1940s. You can download the Brimington entry from the last Kelly’s Directory of Derbyshire published in 1941 below. It gives an interesting insight into the shops and business extant in the village at this time, along with an overview of the parish’s history.
Further directories are available on-line from the Historical Directories of England and Wales website.
Newspaper and magazine articles
Local operators – Doughty and Wetton – Transpire News Sheet articles 2021
Two articles from 2021 Transpire – the Chesterfield Bus Society News Sheets highlight Brimington based Wetton’s and Doughty’s bus and coach operations. Our thanks to the author, Dennis Vickers, and to Transpire for permission to reproduce these articles as one combined download.
This is by no means a complete history of the companies, but adds useful information.
(Please note that there is an error in the heading on the Wetton article. The heading should read ‘Radford Wetton and Son, Brimington’, not ‘Ralph’.)
1954 newspaper article on Brimington
This article from an April 1954 edition of the Sheffield Telegraph takes a look at Brimington – particularly the house building being undertaken at the time.
c. 1955 newspaper article on Brimington and the so-called ‘Manor Lodge’
There is no date or source for this short newspaper article, but we think it is from 1955, as the Church of England rector is mentioned as recently moving into the parish. He took up his appointment in that year. The ‘Manor Lodge’ referred to in the article was a small stone cottage near the site of the present 100 Manor Road. This building stood at the beginning of Brimington Common. You can find a photograph of it on our gallery page.
1963 newspaper article on the Red Lion public house
What was the Red Lion public house like nearly 60 years ago?
There’s a glimpse in this newspaper cutting, when a reporter from The Star Chesterfield Magazine, of 14 March 1963, popped in to the Red Lion public house.
1972 newspaper article ‘All sorts of places: Brimington’
This article, published in the Morning Telegraph on 13 September 1972, sees reporter Roger Wall out and about talking to Brimington residents such as Ethel Creswick (of Grove Farm), Dave Thorpe (of the Zone) and tenants of the then newly opened Devonshire Court, British Legion housing development. A bit of history is covered, but the context of the feature is future plans for the village – as the Brimington General Improvement Area (GIA) is launched by the Chesterfield Rural District Council (CRDC). There’s also some local government and housing background given by Councillor Walter Everett and parish council clerk Major George Coleman.
The GIA was an attempt by the CRDC to regenerate the village centre, address poor housing and to try and solve issues like traffic, car parking and lack of playing space. Some of the proposals were adopted, but many weren’t. Some proved popular, others less so.
We hope to add further content in the coming months.
Page last updated 14 September 2021.