In this blog we take a look at why some old maps show small areas of Tapton marked as ‘in Brimington’ – overwise known as detached parts. It’s a continuation of a look at ‘new thoughts’ on our local history, mainly courtesy of the Derbyshire Victoria County History (VCH).
Brimington in Tapton – detached areas
One of the features of yesterday’s Tapton is a number of detached areas – that’s to say areas of land identified on maps as actually being in Brimington. The map below, of 1876, shows one of these not far from the site of the present Chesterfield Royal Hospital.
When the Tapton township boundaries were rationalised in 1883 there were eight detached areas of Brimington in Tapton, one area of Tapton in Brimington and one in Hasland! Even after the 1920s there were remnants of these detached areas in field patterns.
What caused this?
VCH thinks that this was due to changes in ownership as long ago as 1233. At this time the Domesday Manor of Newbold, which included Brimington, Tapton and Hasland was divided. This arrangement dates from then.
The manorial descent is very complicated and not entirely proven, but we will attempt to summarise it here, as it applies particularly to landownership. What follows is undoubtedly an over-simplification!
The Domesday survey of 1086 has most of Tapton formed one of the six berewicks of the royal manor of Newbold. It was held at this time by the King. There was a second estate – a smaller manor in Tapton – which appears to have no further history, unless it is what later became Little Tapton. What happened to the property is not known.
By 1233 the Manor had fallen to the Brewers. In 1233 Tapton was itself divided into Great Tapton and Little Tapton. Little Tapton passed as a small part of a portion also including Dronfield and Hasland to a Ralph fitz Ranulph. Little Tapton was probably absorbed into a much greater Hasland estate that Ralph Fitz Ranulph had. It may account for a detached portion of Tapton being in Hasland.
It then appears that the Brimington family, who were lords of the manor of Brimington held Tapton. They presumably ran the two together. This may well account for the detached parts of Brimington being in Tapton.
We’ll skip the very complicated period hereafter – you’ll have to wait for a planned VCH book on Brimington and Tapton to plot this. But we can reveal that by 1545 the Durrant family, of Durrant Hall had been holding land in Tapton for some time. At this date their estate in Tapton was called a Manor. Durrant Hall was situated where the old Royal Hospital once stood in the town centre. Again, after this date, you’ll have to wait for the VCH account – but it is known that the later manorial history of the township is quite poorly recorded and therefore the subject of some uncertainty.
Tapton township was abolished in 1920 and its entire area was transferred into the borough of Chesterfield.
This is the third in a series of blogs taken from a recent talk given to our group ‘New thoughts on Tapton’s and Brimington’s history’ by Philip Cousins. This looked at new research carried out on the area by the Derbyshire County Victoria History. Our grateful thanks to the VCH for permission to use some of this research in this blog.
This blog was revised on 1 July 2022 to correct some grammatical errors and revise the ownership flowchart caption.